A list of 30+ healthy snacks for breastfeeding moms, in order to keep you energized for those feedings that occur at all times of the day/night!
If you thought pregnancy cravings were bad, boy you are in for a real treat when it comes to breastfeeding cravings. It can be a constant battle trying to satisfy those never ending food cravings.
Yes, it may be tempting to indulge on greasy pizza, fried food, and ice cream. I know I have been there, so instead I put together a list of my favorite healthy breastfeeding snacks.
They will be sure to keep you fueled and energized for those long days and most importantly nights of feeding. And better yet, they will keep baby satisfied as well. Because chances are if mom isn't eating right, baby isn't either. And we want to provide our little ones with the best nutrients as they are doing most of their growing in the first year. These are also great snack options for the rest of the family as well!
This list is also a grab-and-go list or a very little preparation list. Because we all know, as breastfeeding moms, most of our time is spent feeding our little one. It may be hard to get a hot home cooked meal prepared, and if we do, there is no doubt our little one is starving right when we sit down to eat. So, I thought this no prep snack list would make things a little easier on you, mom.
Dieting is not recommended while breastfeeding as you need to make sure you are compensating for those calories that baby takes. Although, breastfeeding is a great way to encourage weight loss, and on top of that, eating healthy snacks is a great way to help you reach your goal! Swap out those chips and sweets, for the list of snacks below!
30+ Healthy Snacks For Breastfeeding Moms
1.Fruits- Apples, Bananas, Berries, Peaches, Watermelon, you name it.
2. Veggies- Carrots, Celery, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Peppers, once again you name it. Eat with dip if preferred.
3. Dried Fruit- If you are more of a sweet snacker, try dried fruit. Just be careful for the sugar content.
4. Mixed Nuts- One of my all time favorite snacks and a great way to get in those healthy fats and protein. Almonds are a must!
5. Tuna- Just mix with light mayo and put it on bread with a slice of avocado. Or for a healthier version skip the bread and do a lettuce wrap.
6. Oatmeal- A great source of iron and fiber. And better yet, it helps boost your milk supply. Spice it up by adding honey, berries, dark chocolate, peanut butter, etc.
7. Hummus- Because chickpeas are great for milk supply! Hummus is also a great source of protein and fats. Eat with crackers, carrots, celery, peppers, cucumbers etc.
8. Cheese Sticks- I could snack on these all day long.
9. Apple With Peanut Butter- Or my favorite, banana with peanut butter.
10. Greek Yogurt- High in protein and great for your digestion. Add honey, granola, or fruit to make it a real treat.
11. Diced Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Avocados, Red Onions- Drizzled in olive oil and salted and peppered.
12. Pistachios- Boy do I love me some pistachios.
13. Luna Bars- Not loaded with sugar and artificial sweeteners like most other granola and snack bars. They use minimal ingredients and are sweetened with dates. I prefer to buy them in bulk from Amazon, as they can become pricey through your local store.
14. Trail Mix- Try either store bought or make it yourself.
Related- Strawberry Banana Lactation Smoothie
15. Avocado and Egg Toast- There are so many ways to expand on this by adding nuts, tomatoes, cucumbers, feta cheese, etc.
16. Meat, Cheese, Crackers, and Olives- I could snack on one of these trays, all day, everyday.
17. Spinach, Berry, Feta Salad- Add an oil and vinaigrette dressing and walnuts for the perfect touch.
18. Edamame- High in protein and fiber and easy to prepare.
19. Dark Chocolate- Dark chocolate is a great way to curb your appetite for those unhealthy sweets. Get the dark chocolate that is low in sugar and has at least 70% cocoa solids.
20. Popcorn- Not overly buttered, preferably plain.
21. Pinwheels- Use hummus as the base and fill with veggies, deli meats, and cheese.
22. Cream Cheese and Bagels- Add a bit of jam if preferred.
23. Cottage Cheese- Add your favorite fruits and veggies.
24. Hard Boiled Eggs- Tip: Make them in bulk in an instant pot.
25. Peanut Butter and Celery- Celery, something I WISH I liked, because this would make for the perfect snack!
26. Lactation Smoothie- Smoothies are one of my favorite breakfast and midday snacks. They are great as you can add whatever ingredients you choose: chia seeds, fruits, spinach, honey, peanut butter, oats, almond milk, yogurt, etc. Try this strawberry-banana lactation smoothie to get you started!
27. Sweet Potato with Goat Cheese- If you don't want to take the time to bake, just poke with a fork and microwave for approximately 7 minutes. Add other toppings such as cottage cheese, tomatoes, etc.
28. No Bake Lactation Bites- A great way to boost your milk supply. Try this recipe to get you started. I prefer eating them frozen!
29. Veggie Chips- If you just NEED those chips, opt for a healthier version, and try veggie chips instead. Dip in some hummus if preferred.
30. Cucumbers and Cream Cheese- Love the crunch and refreshness of the cucumbers.
31. Mozzarella Balls, Basil, and Tomatoes- LOVE this snack and they are actually big hits at family holidays as well! Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
32. Tomatoes and Crumbled Feta- Similar to the snack above. Basil also makes for a great topping.
33. Yogurt Melts- The perfect snack for those hot summer days. An even greater snack for those teething babies! Find the recipe here.
34. Rotisserie Chicken- I could snack away on this all day.
35. Fluids- This one is so important. You need to make sure you are getting enough fluids in every day. I try to drink half my body weight in ounces each day, if not more. So for example, if you weigh 130 pounds, drink at least 65 ounces of water each day. Go ahead and add fruit, mint leaves, etc, to spice it up! I love this water bottle as it has a fruit infuser and has an ounce marker to keep me on track throughout the day.
There you have it mamas! I hope you leave here with some great snack combinations in order to keep you energized and satisfied!
So tell me, what is your favorite breastfeeding snack? And if I forgot to mention one that you find to be a great snack, I would love to hear about it in the comments!
You can find all of my must have motherhood/baby/toddler products here!
You May Also Enjoy: